As parents, you want your little ones to have a super fun time trick-or-treating. All the while, you want them to be safe. Halloween can be one of the most anticipated nights of the year for children. Who doesn't love to get bags full of candy!? With all the excitement and fun, there are also lots of distractions. Make the most out of this Halloween by checking out a few trick-or-treating safety tips below!
- Plan your route in advance. Things will flow much smoother if you have a route in mind. You will know in advance where you plan to go and how to get there.
- Make sure you and your child are well lit. Take a flashlight, wear reflective strips or tape, or wear bright colors. Walk down streets that are well lit.
- Wear comfy shoes! You will be walking from house to house. Make sure you wear some comfortable shoes.
- Masks & Props. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure they can properly breathe while wearing it. Also, make sure the mask does not block your child's vision. When using props, safety can be an issue. Use props that are flexible and things that will not harm other children.
- Check your child's candy. After you've had your fun make sure to check your child's candy. Remove any candy that appears to be opened, not in the original wrapper, or tampered with.
- Remember to have fun! This is a great time to spend some quality time with your child. Have a great time together and create lasting memories. Take pictures of your child in their costume. You'll treasure these photos forever!